Electric mountain bikes (eMTBs) are a whole new category of mountain biking, with extra power and extra speed.
You may be thinking of investing in one of these in 2018 – but which one should you choose to help you ride off road?
Check out some of the latest and best electric mountain bikes.
1. BMC Trailfox AMP LTD
This high tech Swiss eMTB is worth the price tag on it, with loads of power to get you up those steep climbs.
- Price: £10,860
- Carbon front end and alloy rear triangle
- integrated battery pack
- Shimano STEPS MTB E8000, 250W, 70Nn motor
- Shimano STEPS MTB E8020, 500Kw battery pack
- Fox Float 36, Factory, FIT4, Kashima, S-Ped, Boost (150mm)
The great suspension means this bike is perfect for rough terrain.
2. Scott E-Genius 700 Tuned
This is the latest version of the Scott E-Genius with an updated frame, new motor and new rear design.
- Price: £6,799.00
- E-Genius 700/900 Alloy Frame
- FOX 36 Float Factory 150mm Fork
- Shimano Di2 electronic shifting
- TwinLoc system
- Rocker link suspension
- Motor: 250W Shimano STEPS E-8000 system
- 3 levels of pedal assist: Eco, Trail, Boost
- Range: 30 – 130 Power Assisted Miles
It’s long chainstay and other features means this bike is ideal for climbing and descending steep trails. The bike also looks really good.
Pre-order here for the first bikes available in March 2018.
3. Stevens E-Sledge+ ES
The look of this bike is pared down and understated in a triumph of German design.
- Price: €5,599
- 22in frame
- Shimano STEPS system
- Three levels of assistance
- Steep seat angle
- 500 Wh battery
With great suspension and excellent grip on Schwalbe tyres this bike handles well on long rides. It scores an A* on comfort, absorbing small bumps and big shocks alike.
4. Focus Jam2 Plus Pro
Another high-end mountain bike, it’s F.O.L.D suspension design delivers a great blend of stability and sensitivity during all those bumpy trails.
- Price: £5,199
- Modular battery pack
- 7005 hydoformed aluminium frame
- Shimano Steps E8000, 70 Nm, 250 W motor
- RockShox Revelation RL, 110×15 mm QR, 140 mm travel fork
- 11 gears
You can remove one of the battery packs if you don’t need it for a lighter experience, giving you more versatility.
5. Merida EOne-Sixty 900E
With this bike, you get a lot for the price.
- Full aluminium frame
- Shimano Steps Motor
- 500Wh battery back
- 441mm chain stay length
You have great control over the Merida, though the battery life is slightly limited compared to other models.
“It really has never been a better time to get into ebikes than right now, as you can buy so much more ebike than you could a year or two ago for the same price or less,” says Karl Gesslian, over on his eMTB blog electricbike-blog.com.
Stay safe, and happy biking!